Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Saturday, May 19, 2007

I Love to Run

Today our running group drove up to Tehachapi to run 9 miles. It was so awesome! I felt so good today. I think it was because I was a little smarter this time and brought better gear. The Air Force issues Bill lots of athletic stuff that he usually ends up throwing in the back of the closet because the guy doesn't work out (and is still skinny and that's why he sucks). As it turns out, he was issued a CamalBak that he dug out for me to use. I'm sure runners have been using these since, like, the beginning of time but I'm still learning! It's essentially a small bag that you wear like a backpack and it holds water for you to drink out of using a little hose that goes over your shoulder. I can't believe the world of difference it made for me to drink little sips of water during the run! I also took a shot of Gu Energy Gel. I ate the little pouch about halfway into the run and it had just enough kick to give me a second wind when I really needed it.

I ran the 9 miles in 1 hour and 28 minutes, which is just under a 10 minute mile pace. That, I am really proud of. It also means, if I should be so lucky to keep that pace, I should run the half marathon (13.1 miles) in about 2 hours and 10 minutes. The half marathon that I am running in two weeks (holy crap, only two weeks?) is the 52nd Annual Fontana Days Run in Fontana, CA. Click here to view last year's results for this half marathon. As you can see, running the race in about 2 hours and 10 minutes puts me a little below average. I think I'm O.K. with that!! Plus I've heard that race day causes you to have much more adrenaline than you would normally have, so maybe that will help me creep closer to average! I'll need all the help I can get, I think.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

Wow! You are awesome!

Poor little asthmatic girls can't run in marathons... (sad), but I will live vicariously through others who can! So. If you notice a monkey on your back as you run, pay no attention. It's just me pretending to run a marathon.

In the mean time, I guess I'll stick to the less glamorous workouts: Curves and yoga. :)

Chelle said...

Yep, I knew you would do it. Uh huh, just knew it. If you did nine ok, you will be perfectly fine for the half marathon. One reminder: don't get caught up in the excitement of the event on race day, stay at your pace and your know you'll finish.

G - I have asthma and I have done it! Asthma or not, it can be done sister, I am proof!

Organized Chaos said...

I am impressed...I can't recall when you started running again...you seem to have progressed quickly. I'm still barely making an 11 minute mile...all I really call is finishing my triathlons without stopping. I have small goals. Hopefully attainable though.

Good luck with your run. Pee as close to start time as possible.