Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Monday, May 14, 2007

"Girl, You Are Wearin' That Dress."

This is what Nurse Roberts sarcastically says to Carla during the episode of Scrubs where she and Turk get married (or don't, because the wedding was such a disaster that, by the time the reception rolled around, they weren't even officially married yet). This is the way I'm feeling about motherhood right now. Currently, it is 1:30 in the morning and I have been awakened again by a screaming child. The screaming will continue until he wears himself out or Daddy, who has to be at work at 7:30 in the morning, kills him. In the past five nights, this has happened four times (last night he gave us a breather). You don't understand. After all the bullheadedness, the strong will, the endless amount of energy, the short temper fuse, Aaron's sleep patterns were what I could count on to make me feel like I wasn't all that bad of a mother. He has never had problems with sleeping. When we put him to bed at night or for an afternoon nap, he always falls asleep on his own and stays that way the whole time.

So why am I awake now? I've had an epiphany. I think his second molars are coming in. Babycenter.com says that all of his baby teeth should be in by his second birthday, which is in about a month. Here are the symptoms they said he may develop due to the second molars coming in:

  • Drooling
  • Gum swelling and sensitivity (I think I actually see some puffiness.)
  • Irritability or fussiness (absolutely!)
  • Biting behavior (yup!)
  • Refusing food (always!)
  • Sleep problems (um, hello!?! The reason for the late night post!)

So the good news is, I think I know what's wrong. The bad news is there's nothing I can do about it, except drug him up on the Infant Tylenol. But knowing is half the battle, right?

2 comments:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

My sweet Staci,
I know the hopelessness that is only exacerbated by lack of sleep, as well as a total upheaval of what USED to be a safe time for a good sleeper! Coley is trying my nerves the same way these days.

Before you even mentioned it I was already thinking TWO YEAR MOLARS!!! I never knew when Coley's came in. I just fretted about her tantrums and bad behavior. This time around I've been paying more attention and sure enough, Jalyn's got one coming in, too!

You KNOW I'm all about the Tylenol. So go for it. And have a margarita and go to bed yourself. Your own sleep is crucial, too.

L

Daisy Chick said...

Can't you give him Baby Orajel or something??? I know it's only a topical but there has got to be something. You would think the drug making companies would be all over ways to make little tykes soothe knowing moms would jump at the chance to make their kids feel better.