Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

2 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks and 1 Day Old

I haven't been doing updates on Aaron here lately because it feels like it's all I can do to keep my head above water where this kid is concerned. Parenting is hard. I don't know how else to say it. Here are a few things we can't do now because Aaron can't handle it (in bullet form, of course):
  • Go out to eat (and I'm not talking fancy, shmancy dinners, either. He won't sit through MCDONALD'S).

  • Go to Mass.

  • Go shopping.
  • Ride on an airplane without 2-3 major meltdowns and many, many disparaging looks from strangers.

  • On bad days, walk from the front door to the car without aforementioned major meltdown.
I have been told everything from "He's only two, it will get better" to "Start the beatings now!" to "He's a strong-willed child and you need to turn his disposition into an opportunity." I like that third one the best. I'm reading many books including 1-2-3 Magic by Thomas W. Phelan, Ph.D., Parenting the Strong-Willed Child by Rex Forehand, Ph.D. and Nicholas Long, Ph.D. and Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka.


Aaron is also now in speech therapy. At his two year checkup, the doctor was extremely concerned that I could only think of about ten words that he used on a regular basis. The speech therapy with Ms. Gerry is going well, I think, as long as he takes a good nap beforehand (his appointments are normally in the late afternoon). The appointments are an hour long so I'm actually impressed Ms. Gerry can keep him occupied for that long. We are working on sounds right now like "b", "p", and "oooo". Ms. Gerry is concerned about his apparent inability to make his mouth physically do what it needs to do to make sounds, as in the part of his brain that controls the mouth might not be fully developed or may even be damaged. She is also concerned with his lack of eye contact when he's around other people as well as his short attention span (Really!?!). All of these things are terrifying me but I feel better that we're doing what we need to do now to hopefully help him. I really think once he starts talking, our mutual frustration with each other should slowly decrease. Some words that he is starting to use are "daddy", "doggie", "hi", "tower", "two", and "three". Still no "mommy", though. He does well with "t", "s", "h" and "d" sounds but not so well with "wh" and "m" sounds. We'll see how it goes.

Aaron doesn't eat very well; mostly because he doesn't have the attention span to sit and eat until he's full. We rotate between chicken nuggets, grilled cheese sandwiches, p.b.&j.'s and fish sticks. He won't touch anything else. I mean, you can't even put it on his plate. We are working on the snacking thing; he has become a world-class grazer. So three meals a day with two small snacks in between is the plan right now.

Luckily, we are involved with several things through the base and TPS so that we are able to keep busy. Aaron goes to the CDC three mornings a week, which is working out really well. We still have tears when Mommy leaves, but I think that will diminish as he gets used to going on a regular basis again. I've had to pull him out several times this summer due to our travels. Tuesday and Thursday we usually find someone to play with in the morning, either at the playground or the Jungle Zone (the indoor playground on base).

So there it is. My life with a two-year-old. I love him, I really do. But this job is absolutely the hardest job I have ever had. I guess I'm going to have to rely on the hugs and kisses I get for my sanity until we start having some major breakthroughs.

**All of the pictures were taken by Lisa.

5 comments:

Tonia said...

I really feel for you. I have to warn you though, with 1-2-3 Magic, I don't think it is as effective if there is a disability or delay. With Rece although we are doing it to a T, he will only react to the counting about half the time. It is still an improvement so definitely go ahead with it but it is very hard to find consequences other than time out with he age and maturity level. He just doesn't care, especially when we are in the car...then what??? Oh I hope the therapy is working out, I would really sugget getting an evaluation through your county's birth to three program. I am so relieved that we are going through with it. It is so hard when they are so sweet sometimes! And strangers/family members comments ad looks are so hard to not just scream at them and say, you wanna give it a crack, cause I am doing all I can. I hear from everyone that 3 is worse than 2, I really pray it isn't!! People always comment, wow he has a lot of energy today or wow he is in a mood today, and I always say no that is just Rece, even family members make these comments. Sorry for the book, I just know where you are coming from.

Chelle said...

No children here, so no idea how to try to offer help. With my background in psychology, I would take my kid to a counselor or child psychologist for extra help. In my own opinion, an army is stronger than one person. Hoping today is going well for you and you are getting some help from QUALIFIED folks.

Erin said...

Keep doing what you're doing! I know it's hard, believe me. Callie's starting to end her tantrum-throwing. Don't worry, she hasn't been doing it since she was two. I'm not sure what set off this last month of tantrums but whatever it was, it seems to be waning. I know it's hard to see the light when you're in the middle of the darkness, but it's there. Aaron is a wonderful little boy, I can tell that just from your pictures. And I know you already know that. Be encouraged. Keep being what he needs: his Mama. I hope the sessions continue to go well!

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I'm so proud of you for vocalizing all this. That's what the blog community is for!

Aaron IS a wonderful little boy. One day you'll be so relieved when you look back at this post and realize how far you've both come.

I love you, baby, and I'm here for ya!

The Withers Family said...

Speech therapy is a godsend. Nikki won't stop talking now and people look at me like I've lost my mind when I talk speech therapy, since you can't tell that Nikki spoke "Nikki" before.

From someone who has been there and done that: It is NOT your fault he is having trouble with letters and sounds. You are doing the right thing. He is improving. You are a good Mommy!