Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Friday, September 29, 2006

He's Finally Found It

The naughty spot, that is. He's really not a bad child. Really. But there just comes a point when you can no longer yell or say no or "remove and distract" like all the books say. Aaron's very favorite thing to do is splash around in Reagan's water bowl. He doesn't mind the getting wet part such as in this picture:


However, Mommy and Daddy mind it. And Reagan probably a little bit, too. So after catching him playing in her water bowl again and saying NO a hundred times, I decided to give the naughty spot business a try (Stop laughing, Dad). I made him stay there for one minute (supposedly you subject them to the naughty spot one minute for however many years old they are) until the timer went off and then I let him get up. The first time I did it, I think he was a little bit amused. The second time, it was a little harder for him to sit there, even for just 60 seconds. I guess it's working, though, because every time he goes near Reagan's water, I give him one chance and tell him if he does it again, he's going to the naughty spot. And he stops!! We'll see how this goes. I refuse to spank him, so hopefully this works because, honestly, I'm all out of ideas. I've reached the point where I really don't know what to do with him when he does stuff like this. And it works for the Supernanny, so that's a good thing right?

In case you're wondering, this is where the naughty spot is in our house:


By the way, take a look at this picture:


This looks like a pretty good naughty spot too, right? Nope, this is actually Aaron's fun, happy place. He loves crawling back there!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to say that THE NAUGHTY SPOT RULES!!! Hoo-yeah!

mama rose said...

Aaron is such a handwome sweetie. He's going to be a ladies' man, no doubt! I've enjoyed reading about all that you all are doing, thinking and being.

Tonia said...

How do you get him to stay on the naughty spot for the full minute. For Rece it is just a game.

Double A's Mom said...

Oh, Aaron thinks it's a game too. I've gotten to where I have to sit right by him and practically hold him down in order to keep him there. And that just makes it even more fun. I'm just hoping that if I stay consistent with it, he will eventually learn that the naughty spot is not a fun place. Does anyone else have some ideas?

BigBry said...

We have good success with starting with a spanking, then time out (naughty spot in Texas) followed by Lilly admitting what she did wrong and apologizing. A modified Super Nanny technique. The spanking does well to reinforce that the time out is punishment and not a game. I am all about the spanking!

Pam Francis said...

I can't say or think about "naughty spot" without giggling. Yes, I'm mental.