Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Stupid Stomach Flu

Today was the day of my first 5K race. I went to bed early last night after dutifully studying the race route (since the story of my life dictates that the race is in a town I've never set foot in before). After a horrible night enduring a rumbling, sick stomach, I got up promptly at 4:00 this morning so that I could leave by 4:30 and make it there in time for check-in and a 7:35 start. I got out of bed, walked to the bathroom and promptly threw up. But that's alright! I'm tough! I can work through the misery. I finished getting ready, got in the car and just started feeling like all the energy had drained from me. It's a fairly long drive to get off base, so I gave myself until then to turn around and go home. I was about a half mile from the gate when I decided I better not risk the two and a half hour drive plus a race when I was feeling the way I felt. Auugghhh! I am so bummed I could almost cry, but I feel like I made the right decision because I went home and got back into bed and haven't felt any better since.

So there you go. The story of my first 5K race that will never be. I have two more chances to race in the coming weeks, so hopefully I will have better luck then.

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Stacey,
I'm sorry you are sick and I'm sorry you missed your race. I hope you feel better. If I can do anything for you give me a call.

Jen said...

I am so sorry about the race! I know you've been working hard to prepare for it! I am also sorry you are sick! Hope you feel better soon!!

Chelle said...

That stinks!!! I am so sorry that happened to you girl. I know you are disappointed, but trying to run with a stomach flu would have left you in even worse shape. The good news is there are more races. Hope you feel better soon!

Amy said...

Oh no! I am so sorry. You really should stop drinking the nasty swamp cooler water... No really, I hope you feel better (all of you) soon!

threeforme said...

I'm so bummed for you! But it is better that you didn't go. Just imagine how you would have felt.

And just think...you were signed up for an actual race! How cool are you? WAY ahead of me. I'm hoping this head cold will leave and allow me to run again. I'm so unmotivated when I'm hacking!

Ginger said...

Sorry! Get well so that you can run in the next one!