Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Thursday, January 10, 2008

This is What Sad Looks Like


Maybe this whole talking thing isn't working out as well as I would have hoped. Aaron and I sat down to eat lunch today at about 11:45. I placed two chicken nuggets in front of him, each cut in half so he had four pieces. I also gave him some mandarin oranges and about four Pringles. O.K., duh, the Pringles were going in about half a second. I didn't have much hope for the oranges because he has really turned his nose up at oranges for a while now. It just makes me feel better that I'm at least offering it. Now, the chicken was a toss-up. I've seen him eat four Pringles then not eat anything until snack time after his afternoon nap. So I wasn't sure what to expect. However, this time, he gobbled down the chicken! Then it happened - he, plain as day, said, "More chicken." I thought, "Surely, you jest! More chicken, really?" And I even asked him several times as I was standing up and heading back into the kitchen, "Do you really want more?" And he kept repeating the same thing, "More chicken." So I made (read: microwaved) two more chicken nuggets and cut them each in half so he would have four. I then placed the new chicken in front of him, to which he promptly replied, "No chicken" and pushed the plate away. Oh, no, you didn't!! I told him that he wasn't getting up from the chair until he ate one more piece of chicken, that we don't ask for more then refuse it. People, he sat there for the next hour in that chair until it was time for his afternoon nap at 1:00. I couldn't believe how stubborn he was. All he had to do was take two bites and he could get everything he desired, which was to get down from the chair! One hour of perfectly good playtime wasted!! I have to say that I was pretty proud of myself for not backing down, even in the midst of so many tears that his face was starting to swell! Best mom ever!

1 comment:

Pam Francis said...

I am proud of you sticking with it when it is so much easier to let them have their own way.