Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Saturday, January 14, 2006

I Shouldn't Talk About This But...

I'm too excited so I must talk about it and so what if I jinx it. Not only has my wonderful, darling son been sleeping from 9:00 in the evening until 7:30 in the morning (give or take a half hour on each side), tonight I laid him down in his crib drowsy but still awake and he went to sleep on his own!! It took about twenty minutes and a couple of times of going in his room to put his pacifier back in his mouth, but after about ten minutes of not hearing anymore from him, I went in and checked on him and he was asleep!

This whole getting him to sleep business has really been traumatizing me because I have read in all the books and heard all the advice that says that you have to teach them to fall asleep on their own so that bedtime is not a huge drama every night. I only made it through two episodes of Supernanny before I vowed never to watch it again after watching these two-year-old terrors scream and cry every time their parents tried to get them to go to bed. I was certain that Aaron was going to become one of those terrors if I didn't quit rocking him to sleep at night. I have tried putting him down before to go to sleep on his own, but it never worked. He would cry and cry until one of us picked him up and rocked him to sleep (by the way, I am always the strong one. Bill is the one who can't take it and goes in and gets him!). However, today he showed me that he could fall asleep on his own. He was waiting for me to finish getting ready to go out and I laid him on our bed because he was getting fussy and he fell asleep! This is basically how everything has happened in Aaron's life; he shows me once that he can do it, then I start to enforce it. Anyway, I will update you after tomorrow night to see if this was just a freak occurrence!

1 comment:

Tonia said...

Congrats!!! Sleeping was a hard one for us also!