Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Thursday, November 15, 2007

It's Here!!

My new camera, that is. No more excuses for the blog staying dormant! My old compact Sony (I say "old" but we got it, like, four years ago) was really starting to anger me because I was tired of getting pictures like this:


The boy never stops moving! Most especially not for Mommy, who just wants to get a good picture of him. So my darling husband decided to let me have an early Christmas present, which was the Nikon D40. I read several reviews and it was billed as "the beginner's digital SLR." That's definitely me since I'm still not exactly sure what SLR even means. All I know is, my friend Lisa has one as well as my father-in-law (thanks for all the help, Old Man!) and they both take really good pictures, really fast! I still need to read the big instruction manual that came with it (not just the "Quick-Start" guide) and I am also thinking of taking a photography class through the city of Lancaster or on base, if I can find one. Here are some pictures that I've taken so far:


Side note: If anyone has any suggestions for the excessively bright flash, let me know in the comments. I would really like to figure out how to take pictures that reflect the actual lighting situation in the room, but still stay in focus.

4 comments:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Dude! SO COOL! The camera is so easy to use -- you'll take great pictures (like these!) straight out of the box. I can't help much with the flash issues except to say you could tape a little piece of paper over it to try to dim it a little.

SLR: Single Lens Reflex.

So geeky, I know.

http://photodoto.com/index.php/photo-glossary/

Pam Francis said...

My prayer's have been answered, more blogging.

Daisy Chick said...

I dig the mohawk!!!!! I'm so photo ignorant I can't even tell there is bad lighting. Funny since my bro is a photographer.

Erin said...

With the direct flash, it's a little hard to fix. But, try going into your menu and finding the White Balance (auto). You can adjust it up for more flash or down for less flash. The only problem is you have to change it once you go outside, unless you don't use the flash outside. Another thing you can do is in the White Balance, switch to "incandescent" if you're inside. That usually compensates for the lower lighting and makes the flash not wash things out. But if you change the White Balance, usually you have to change the film speed. If you're shooting in lower light, use a higher film speed (640 or higher). This should also be in your menu settings under ISO. It still may be blurry. The best thing is to get an external flash, but that costs extra money, of course. :) You'll get better at is as you mess with the settings. Nikons are great cameras! Congrats! (I have a D70s)