Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Friday, December 8, 2006

My Dear, Sweet, Beloved Internet...

...oh, how I have missed you. We have made it to California in one piece! The drive down here from Washington actually wasn't as bad as I had imagined, thanks to my best friends, the Little Einsteins. We bought Aaron a portable DVD player for Christmas and I'm pretty sure it's the best money we have ever spent. We drove for a total of three days with only an occasional whimper, just to let us know he was feeling a little out of his element, and some general crankiness. He has been fairly temperamental since we've been in CA but I think it's getting better now that we're getting him back on his normal schedule. Anyhoo, here are some pictures of our journey down here.

Getting ready to shove off from Kris' house in Washington. Can you see Aaron peaking out from the window? Maybe he was afraid we weren't planning on taking him with us?

The kids making themselves comfortable in the hotel in Medford, OR - the place we stopped the first night.

The second day of driving, including views of Mt. Shasta in northern California and a sleepy, cranky boy.





We reached our destination in southern California after a third day of driving. Check out the TLFs on base! They are super-nice and a lot better than I was expecting (No more TLF nightmare stories from Illinois, Lis!). By the way, it was bathtime, in case you're wondering about the nakedness.

We are staying in the TLFs until our things are delivered to our house next Friday (Growl...almost two weeks without my own stuff). We are moving into a house on base for the first year (mandatory for TPS students), then will move off base afterwards. The housing on base here is, shall we say, less than desirable (I'm talking like 65-years-old with lead paint, asbestos and wildlife concerns) but we are trying to make the best of the situation. We plan on painting the walls (the same color as in our house in WA. So lame, but comfortable in the familiarity) and I think we can definitely make the house livable once all of our stuff is in it and we make it our own. Stay tuned. Those pictures will be coming in the next few weeks!

5 comments:

Pam Francis said...

Thank God you are back on, what am I supposed to look at, the same posts everyday!!!! Oh, wait, that's what you have to do with my blog. The picture of naked Aaron and Billy cracks me up.

Jen said...

I am glad you made it to Cali. Hope you're getting all settled. I am glad you back on the net!

Jen

The Withers Family said...

Seeing the picture of my front porch with Aaron looking out makes me sad again. Not that I'm happy you're gone. I'm happy that you will be able to spend more time together as a family...maybe you'll be able to expand your horizons while in California!

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

DUDE! Back online! I was feelin' your pain, there, sister.

I love the TLFs, dude! Look at that stylish carpet! Woohoo! It really doesn't look too bad if it means you get to stay in one place for 2 weeks while you wait for your stuff. Will you sign for your keys the same day you get your stuff? That would be nice.

Cool pics, dude. Thanks. I was suffering withdrawals. But at least they weren't as bad as yours--I HAD Internet this whole time!

L

Erin said...

Congrats, I'm glad to hear you guys made it safely. Sorry to hear about the base housing. We suffered through almost a year in Columbus base housing. Not cool, either. Good luck! I'm sure it'll be better with your stuff there.