Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Monday, January 8, 2007

What Has My Husband Gotten Me Into?

This morning I attended the newbie orientation at Bill's school. I think it was supposed to be informative, which it kinda was, don't get me wrong. However, the only real purpose that these little info sessions seem to be having is to scare the bejesus out of me. Here are some examples, in bullet form of course:

  • More wildlife horror stories - the Mojave Green Rattlesnake that will chase you if you make it angry, coyotes and bobcats that want to eat my Reagan for breakfast, and, oh yeah, the running mice count the other spouses have going (apparently it's some sort of badge of honor around here).

  • The spouses of the previous class had little shirts made for their kids that read "Daddy Who?" on the front. It was made very clear to us that the students are going to be very busy this year and "family time" might just mean a pat on the head before bed.

  • If you plan on having a baby while you're here, you have to drive the 40 minutes "into town" to the hospital there, complete with metal detectors, for prenatal care. The Tricare lady even had a wonderful guy-with-a-gun-in-the-waiting-room story for us. Nice!

There were a couple shining moments during the day, however. One being how the Base Chaplain started off his talk by saying how, being new to the area, he's still trying to get used to the desert, since he came from Washington State and the beautiful Puget Sound with the trees and the water and whatnot. Aaaahh, finally. Somebody who gets me!

The second shining moment, of course, came from my Aaron. The orientation was more of a grown-up thing, so the spouses from the previous class got together and looked after the kiddos while we were gone. I dropped Aaron off at 7:45 in the morning and wasn't able to pick him back up until 12:30. They said he did beautifully! He played and ate a snack then lunch without so much as a peep or whine! I was so elated! I really think that the drama we experienced at the YMCA in Washington was a phase that has run its course and now I think he just enjoys playing with other kids and their toys! O.K., maybe just their toys, but it's a start! Wednesday is our first day at the CDC, so wish us luck!

Finally, I really have to say how proud I am of my husband. Another point they made completely clear today at the orientation was that you had to be pretty darn good at what you do to make it into this school. Apparently this school is for the elite of the elite and, even though I've always had a pretty good idea of his capabilities, it was brought into sharp focus today. Also, in about eight months or so, you'll be able to call him Major Q! He just got word a couple weeks ago that he has been promoted from Captain to Major! Congratulations, babe!

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Dude. Where the HECK did he take you? Because, yeah, frickin' guys with a gun in the waiting room? And Chaser Rattlesnakes? Woah.

I miss you, sorry I'm such a loser with the lack of emails.