Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Oh, Toothbrush Holder, How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count the Ways.

Hopefully you won't mind my bastardization of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's famous poem, but I thought it fitting to describe my son's obsession with my toothbrush holder. I don't pretend to understand it. All I know is I now have to hide it everyday or we have some serious issues. He carries it around like a security blanket, people! Is that weird?



One day he got mad, and when he gets mad he throws things, usually whatever happens to be in his hands. This time it was my pretty ceramic toothbrush holder. Luckily he was standing on the rug at the time, so he didn't break it. From then on, though, I decided that it wasn't going to be yet another plaything for him (as in my hair dryer, makeup, broom, pots and pans, etc.), so I put it up to where he couldn't reach it:


Well, to where I thought he couldn't reach it. After finding him like this, the rule is now out of sight, out of mind. It is safely hidden away until he comes up with something else to obsess about.

Sigh...it was such a pretty toothbrush holder.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I am having a heart attack just seeing that picture of him on top of the toilet. In SOCKS! I won't be showing that picture to Avery lest she get any ideas...

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Holy crap! Look at that boy go! And more importantly -- look at that COLOR on your WALLS!

Wow!

threeforme said...

I too, love the walls. And the boy on top of the toilet. I TOLD you they can reach things you think they can't. Now you have proof.

I wouldn't be too worried. I have a friend whose one year old is attached to a rubber spatula. They affectionately call it "Spatchey." So a toothbrush holder? Not that out there.

Organized Chaos said...

Very odd! Very funny, too!

Good thing you have photographic evidence...he'll deny it someday to his girlfriend.