Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Monday, July 24, 2006

I ♥ Portland

This past weekend, Bill and I decided to head down to Portland, OR for a little sightseeing and to attend the 1st birthday party of Bill's cousin's little boy, Joey. We had such a great time! The first place we visited was the International Rose Test Garden. I am such a amateur gardener that I didn't even know what "Rose Test Garden" meant until I was told by our tour guide. Apparently rose growers can develop their own hybrids and send them to the Garden to see if and how well they will grow. Each hybrid is planted in part of a plot and volunteers take care of them.


As for me? It was fun just looking at the pretty flowers!


Each hybridist names his or her own rose variety before it is sent to the Garden. We found some pretty interesting names while we were looking around. For a complete list of the rose varieties, click here. It's pretty funny what people name their creations! For example:

The Barbara Streisand
The Michelangelo
Bill smelling Maria Shriver (He said she smelled pretty good!)

We also came across some beautiful hydrangeas in the rose garden (go figure!). I love hydrangeas!


I love this picture - a tiny view of the hustle and bustle of downtown Portland peeking out above the tranquilty of the Garden.

2 comments:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

That rose garden seems so cool! I'd love to visit there. How does it compare to the roses at Point Defiance?

I'm glad you guys had a good time. Reagan missed you while you were gone!

Pam Francis said...

Hydrangeas are one of my favorite flowers. That's what I loved about Portland...they were everywhere.

I didn't go to the test gardens, but I went to the classical chinese gardens. They were very nice too.