Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Adam is Four Months Old!

I can't believe my little boy is already four months old! I know people say that all the time but seriously, the time has flown by. Adam had his four month well-baby check-up today and he weighs 13 lbs. 9 oz. (25th percentile) and is 25 inches long (50th percentile). He is actually very similar to his brother when he was this age. I have been told by more than one person that it looks like I gave birth to the same child! Adam has subtle differences, though. I think he's going to have blonder hair, at least for now. His hair and eyebrows seem lighter than Aaron's were. Also, Adam's eyes are a darker blue than Aaron's are. I thought maybe Adam still had newborn eyes, but looking back on older pictures of Aaron, his eyes were a much lighter blue by now. Maybe you can tell a difference:

Aaron - 4 months, 12 days
Adam - 4 months, 7 days

Adam is such a joy to be around. When he was first born, I feared he had colic because he was so cranky but now, he only cries or whines when something is wrong, and more often than not, I know how to fix it. Whether it be time to eat, time to sleep, time to pick me up or time to get out of my face, lady!, we have our rhythm down.

Adam is "sleeping through the night" depending on what your definition of that is. He now goes to bed around 9:00 and will sleep until between 4:00 and 5:00. He'll wake for a bottle then go back to sleep until around 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning. So much better than the 1:00 and 5:00 feedings I used to have to do! Then wake up at 7:00 for the four-year-old! Augh! Now I remember why we're done having kids! Adam has made it until 6:00 or 6:30 a.m. before needing a feeding a few times but this is rare. I'll take what I can get, though! I have also started the "lay them down awake and walk away" thing when putting him to bed, which he has taken to very nicely. I rocked Aaron to sleep until he was seven months old, but I decided to try stopping this earlier with Adam. I'm not sure why; I guess the second time around, you have less time and energy for certain things and if I can get him to fall asleep on his own earlier, so be it!!

Adam is not rolling over yet but I think we're getting there. He positively hates tummy time (just like his brother did) so most of it is spent burying his face in the blanket and screaming instead of working on his flipping skills. He loves to back-scoot and has decide that this is a fun way to travel, like in this picture:


I had put him on that blue blanket and that's how far he got!

Adam has a couple of issues that Aaron didn't have that I am dealing with. When Adam was born, we had to worry about jaundice. Underneath bililights is not a fun way to spend the night in the hospital! That went away fairly quickly, luckily. Adam also has a blocked tear duct in one eye, so this eye is constantly gunky. I am told that should clear up on its own but we may need to see an ophthalmologist about it if it doesn't clear up in the next few months.

Here are some more pictures of our little boy!!

3 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

He is very cute...and looks a lot like his brother!

Two things...one of my girls had the clogged tear duct thing. Annoying, but went away around 6 months. Second...saw your Bumbo picture...Morgan was the first child of mine to escape the Bumbo...right onto the counter top, inches from falling off, so be careful.

the girls' moma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Dude, so glad the blog is not dead! Although I am SOOOO not one to talk, I know!

I think you're right -- the second time around is so much different. We talked a lot about that before Adam came along, but you can't really understand that until it happens. And I'm so glad you've got him figured out. Likely you'll have that feeling a lot.

And yes, I very much think that counts as sleeping through the night, esp when you have to get up with Aaron at 7 anyway!

I miss you so much -- can't wait until I get to see you and all your boys. Let's talk soon.