Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Friday, May 30, 2008

My Constant Companion


Do any of you have one of these? You know, that thing that's always underneath your feet, following you throughout the house, even to the bathroom. Nope, I'm not talking about my kid. I'm talking about my sweet girl, Reagan. Actually, I don't really mind it. Even when she wants to sit in my lap on the couch, underneath the pillow which happens to be underneath my dinner.

Reagan's had a pretty rough week this week. Last Friday I took her to the vet for what I assume is the equivalent of a yeast infection in humans. Nice, right? The problem is, the vet blamed this on her being so fat! Apparently, fat rolls were preventing air from getting to certain places so things weren't drying out properly, which led to a painful, itchy infection. So, $280, daily antibiotics and one week later, I think it has cleared up. In addition, Bill and I have decided we have made it to third base with Reagan and have almost pretty much rounded to home because, oh yeah, we had to CLEAN IT three times a day and put ointment on it as well.

The moral of the story is, we now have Reagan on reduced calorie food, obtained from the vet no less, to try to get her weight down. I honestly didn't think her weight was that bad. Pugs generally should weigh between 14 and 18 pounds, and Reagan weighed in at 22 pounds last week at the appointment. I guess four pounds does matter, though, when you're talking about a small animal. I hate it that she's probably hungry all the time, but I'll do whatever it takes to keep her around for as long as possible. Even if I do find myself tripping over dog about forty times a day.

3 comments:

Chelle said...

So, I alternated between "ewww" and laughing. Poor fat pug. :)

Julia Stewart said...

don't feel too bad, dogs are always hungry even when you feed them... they are still hungry it is just their nature/instinct.

How much are you feeding her.. 1/4cup in the am and then again in the pm?

I have found that reduce calorie food just has more fillers and will produce more poop than anything else.

Good quality dog food in a small amount plus daily exercise will have R up and running again.

The Withers Family said...

Too funny! Bill told me about this when he was up here in July...my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Hubby would just say, "39 cent solution", so appreciate that it's me, not him.

I'm just wondering.... If Reagan is 4 pounds overweight, what is that the equivalence in human? The ideal weight for Reagan is in the neighborhood of 18 pounds? So she's 22% overweight. Take the average 125 pound female. At 22% overweight, she would weigh 152 pounds, that is packing an extra 27 pounds! It's like being pregnant all over again and not being able to blame it on the baby. So, think about poor, fat Reagan. It's like being pregnant forever.

Just putting it in perspective!