Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Now I Know Why I am a Distance Runner

Sprinting sucks. Today was the first official day of my training for the half marathon in Las Vegas in December. For this race, it's not so much a worry about finishing but rather "Can I do better than last time?". So my friend Becky, who is training with me, found a training guide with speed work in it. Once a week until December, we are supposed to run speed intervals along with our normal runs. Tonight it was 400 meters x 6 at under 1:59 minutes each. And it hurt. My chest, my right leg. Yuck. That might not be fast for normal runners, but for me? Yeah, I thought I was going to die. I was actually looking forward to the 3.5 mile run afterward to let my body return to normal. Hopefully it will all pay off in the end.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

They do suck, but you will be glad you did them when the half marathon rolls around. Good luck with training!

Daisy Chick said...

400 m sprints is hard stuff to do - even when I did track as a "teenager". Now a days - if I make a 50 yard sprint that is doing good (I still hold my side and double over out of breath at the end though). The 3.5 mile run after is what has me passed out on the track. I don't have any type of motivation to push myself to do that - I don't know how you do but am proud of you for being able to do so. Keep up the good work!