Lilypie
Lilypie
www.flickr.com

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Happy 1st Birthday, My Sweet Boy

Aaron, today you turn a year old. I know it's so cliche to say this, but this past year has gone by so fast. Well, except for those first couple months. Between learning how to breastfeed (I quickly figured out that you can read every book in the world and still be very, VERY unprepared for the real experience) and the sleep deprivation, I thought my world was slowly crumbling down around me. I have never known pain, frustration and fatigue like I experienced during those first couple months. In essence, my world was crumbling down around me - the old world that I once knew. Eventually, we started to figure each other out and I haven't looked back since. You are such a joy in my life that I now can't remember what life was like without you (a lot more uneventful, I'll tell you that for sure!).

This new life also brings with it some emotions that I have never felt so strongly before. One would be that fierce Momma Bear protector mode that moms will go into if they sense that their children will be harmed in any way, whether it be emotionally or physically. I have never considered myself a confrontational person, but if you do anything to hurt my Aaron, you're goin' down! Another emotion that I'm having is worry. Am I feeding you the right foods? Are you being adequately stimulated emotionally, physically, spiritually, etc.? Am I raising the next Charles Manson (I've got to stop watching so many crime shows)? A third emotion that I feel, when I allow myself to feel it, is fear. I love you so much that it frightens me. Every once in a while I think about what might happen were I to lose you. When I do this, my brain becomes so traumatized that the thought is quickly disregarded. I have never felt that way before in my entire life and it can sometimes be crippling.
---------------------------------------------------------------
You are sleeping right now, my precious boy. We have had a long day of birthday fun. The day started out VERY early for you for some reason. You woke Mommy and Daddy up at 4:30 a.m. What's up with that? I tried putting you in bed with us so that you would maybe sleep a couple more hours, but you were too excited for that. We went into the living room and watched Little Einsteins and played with the gigantic singing balloon that I bought for you until it was time for breakfast. You then went down for a nap (and Mommy did too!).


When you got up from your nap, Daddy made us yummy pancakes and we spent the rest of the day playing and napping. We needed our rest because, to celebrate your birthday, your Daddy and I decided to brave Chuck E. Cheese's! Yahoo! We had a great time. Your best friends, Coley and Jalyn, met us there and we ate pizza and cupcakes with little Elmo rings on them! Coley and Jalyn gave you an awesome bubble making machine for your birthday and I can't wait to take you out in the backyard to play with it! After we ate, we played in the Toddler Zone. We rode the rides and crawled through the jungle gym. Your daddy and I even had our picture taken with you! I think you had a good time because you were so worn out when you got home!


By the way, before we left for Chuck E. Cheese's, Daddy turned your car seat around so that you can now face forward! Yay! You're such a big boy!


All in all, I think you had a good first birthday, even though I know you really had no idea what was going on. Mommy and Daddy are looking forward to what the next year brings!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Happy Birthday, Aaron! He had so much fun it blew his sock right off his foot.

I'm right there with ya on the never-felt-before emotions, especially fear of losing my babies. Wish motherhood didn't come with that attached.

I LOVE the last pictures--Aaron's eyelashes are BEAUTIFUL.

Tonia said...

Happy Birthday!!!! How exciting! Rece has the same big boy carseat.

Periwinkle Jen said...

Those new emotions are crazy, aren't they?! I was just talking about some of those with a friend of mine today. Another one I have is fear of dying myself and leaving my kids without a mom. I used to do way more daredevil stuff...now I'm lucky if I leave the front door without a helmet. (kidding here- but I definitely don't climb tall cliffs anymore)

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Ok, this is the longest you've ever gone without posting something new. What's UP?!? Oh what, you think your family being in town is a good reason?!? HUh??

I know I promised you something that would make you cry for Aaron's birthday. It's still coming. Don't worry!

Lis